Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Car search Christmas holiday

A situation arose rather suddenly over this Christmas holiday where someone in our family needed a car on rather short notice. So Natasha and I scrambled a bit and then started searching for a vehicle. We ended up deciding the best thing was for us to buy a smaller car that gets better gas mileage than my large 4WD pickup. I would then give the family member my pickup to use while I drive the new car to work. While gas prices are low now, there's certainly no guarantee that they'll stay that way, esp. with Obama as President. I drive about 52-53 miles per day for my current commute. It works out to about 20,000 miles a year.

Anyway, rather than looking at new cars, we searched in 2-3 year old used cars with low mileage. This really is the better way to go financially because the much lower relative cost of the low-mileage used car versus the new car.


We decided on a 2006 Nissan Altima from Carmax with about 24,000 miles. It was only about $17,300, including a transfer fee from the Carmax location in Georgia where it was located. We drove a similar Altima at another Carmax location and really liked it -- nice and zippy. This one has a v6 3.5L engine with over 250 hp and light-colored leather seats. Should be here next week!



No comments: