Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thanksgiving + Mom's birthday, Donna Julio Anejo

My mom, Donna, turned 60 last week, and we celebrated her birthday during Thanksgiving at my wife's aunt/uncle's (Tami/Stephen) home. Thanks VERY much to Stephen and Tami for hosting a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner at their home!

Stephen smoked a turkey and a pork butt in his Big Green Egg smoker (link here and photo below). It was fantastic, and their delicious results have caused my wife to begin telling me that we need to get a smoker and preferably begin doing about 1 pork butt per week from now on until the end of time!


Instead of pumpkin or pecan pie, we had a special birthday cake made by a lady in our subdivision who has started making custom cakes. Her name's Erin McCormick (Cakes by Erin, ph 512-504-3868, email here), and she doesn't have a web site yet but I will post it if she creates one. My wife had the cool idea to make a cake like a tequila bottle, and we then thought up the idea of making a "Donna Julio Anejo" cake, based on Don Julio tequila -- this is the same tequila my friend Kevin Aymat downed in one shot, story here.

See below for the results! Note cake was actually chocolate and not tequila-flavored...link here for photo close-up of actual tequila bottle. BTW, this is a fantastic sipping tequila.



No comments: