Friday, February 20, 2009

Musical Friday -- Cinderella

My daughter Lauren (above, getting ready for ballet class) is 4. I was looking for a clip of a Steven Curtis Chapman song I like called "Be Still and Know" (link here). Over on the side, I saw another link about something called "Cinderella", which I had not heard before.

I wasn't prepared for what was about to hit me like a 2x4 while I was sitting in my cube at work. The video comes first, then a clip of Steven explaining the story about how the song was written. The inspiration came from a frustrating evening trying to get his young adopted girls to take a bath, when they just wanted to play and dance (really funny part is about "pray quickly -- no praying for children in Africa!"). He remembers later that his oldest daughter has left the house and how he used to play with her, and then writes this song about cherishing the times with your daughter while she's young.

His daughter was killed in a tragic family accident not long after the song was published. Thinking of that, and then also thinking about my own daughter (and how fast she's growing up) made me cry. It's a little tough when something like that sneaks up on you out of the blue when you're trying to look normal and stoic at your office. ... trying to say things to a co-worker like, "Dang, these allergies are really rough today! (sniff)".

Be careful, especially you dads out there, before watching this at work. You've been warned!

No comments: