Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Super Bowl, long labor

This weekend, we had a few friends from our neighborhood over to watch the Super Bowl. With me currently having the big plasma TV among my circle of friends, it's something I'm obligated as a man to do as a labor of love. Speaking of labor...

Things took a little twist in the party plans when one of Natasha's doula clients went into labor right around kickoff. So she left to go be at the hospital with her client and I had to go between hosting the party, watching the game, and checking on my kids (what are they screaming about NOW? ... can't they see I'm watching football!?). So I didn't really see quite as many plays or commercials as I would have liked, but I caught most of the important ones, including the unbelieveable 100-yard pick-6 that ended the first half. See my favorite column Tuesday Morning Quarterback's Super Bowl analysis here.

We were all pulling for underdog Arizona to win, so we were all very excited when Larry Fitzgerald scored the go-ahead touchdown to bring the Cards back from 20-7 down to lead 23-20. But then we saw that there was about 2:30 left on the clock. Pittsburgh's o-line started playing better, Arizona's d-backs stopped covering Santonio Holmes very well, and a few plays later, Pittsburgh scored on a somewhat decent catch in the corner of the end zone by Holmes.

Photo by Scott Boehm, Getty Images

So although we didn't like the outcome, it was cool that it was a great / exciting game. We also had some great stuffed jalapenos (Jackson and Hart variations), chili (Natasha), smoked pork ribs (Vic), and sugar cookies (Sarah). Originally I thought about 15+ people were coming and we made enough food for that number, so with fewer people we ended up with several pounds of chili left over ... guess what I'm eating this week?

Natasha's client, a first-time mother, ended up in labor for over 24 hours, and Natasha didn't get home until almost midnight Monday night / Tuesday morning. This was by far her longest labor, and I was a little worried about her driving home from across town late at night after being awake for over 36 hours straight. But she finally made it home safe, and I'm expecting a glowing recommendation from these clients!

2 comments:

corey said...

Recommendation you should pass along to Natasha:

Charge by the HOUR!! ;)

Eric said...

I mentioned this to her, but she said that charging a flat rate is better for clients -- they don't have to worry about the financial impact of their labor going long (with regards to her doula services).