Monday, August 25, 2008

A very funny memory of my friend Kevin Aymat

I still really miss my friend Kevin Aymat greatly. Just yesterday at church, I had gone to the restroom after the music service and was returning to my seat on the 2nd row to listen to the sermon. As I passed the chairs on the 4th/5th rows, I recalled how I used to say hi to Kevin and pat him on the shoulder, since he'd often sit in that spot that I pass on the way to my usual seat. I miss you, buddy.

Anyway, this funny memory comes from "The 20th Hole" party I threw for the guys back in late June. Our wives were having a "book club" party while the guys watched our kids, so the guys got together for "beer club".

Off of my rather extensive menu for that party, Kevin chose a snifter of Remy Martin VSOP cognac. He liked it really well, and he did the whole thing where you warm up the brandy glass with your hand, smell the aroma, sip, enjoy. Since he liked that, I thought he'd enjoy some Don Julio anejo tequila. So I poured him a couple ounces into his snifter.

Good anejo tequilas aren't realy meant for margaritas / doing shots / etc. They're aged more than 1 year in oak and have similar characteristics to good cognac or scotch, and designed to be sipped neat. Anyway, he holds up the snifter to look at the color, then downs the entire glass in a single shot! My friend Wes and I were standing next to him and our mouths dropped (and we busted up laughing, too). We were like, "dude, what are you doing?" He said, "what? that's the way I always drink tequila!" We had a really good laugh about that one.

Kevin was gone only a couple of weeks later. The day of Kevin's funeral (Saturday July 12), I had a few friends over to raise, and quickly down, a glass in Kevin's honor. Salud, my friend!