Monday, November 10, 2008

Red Raiders are who we thought they were!

OK, so I didn't vote for the Big O, but I do appreciate his position on a college football playoff. On a recent Monday Night Football interview with Chris Berman on ESPN, he said we need to get rid of the BCS and do an 8-team college playoff. OK, that is some change I can believe in. Call it The Audacity of a National Championship Decided on the Field. I think I can reach across the aisle for this issue. I think I even got a little tingle in my leg. That position, stated to a national audience the night before the election, might have even helped him carry Ohio ...

In football news, Texas Tech played Oklahoma State this weekend, and Tech looks like the real deal this year, with both an explosive offense and an actual defense. Beating Texas was not a fluke! Also gotta love the interviews with Mike Leach -- is he on some sort of combo of Vicodin and weed? Last year when Tech played OSU, we got one of the all time great coach rants after the game, the Mike Gundy (OSU's head coach) "I'm a MAN, I'm 40!" rant. Mike Gundy original rant here, version edited into very funny unofficial Coors Light commercial here.

So OSU and Mike Gundy (now 41), found out that the Red Raiders "are who they thought they were", and "let 'em off the hook". OK, that's another classic coaching rant joke (Dennis Green, Arizona Cardinals coach, after loss to Chicago Bears), see that original rant here, and official Coors Light commercial here, or see below.



So this sets up a big showdown in 2 weeks where Texas finds itself in the position of rooting FOR the Oklahoma Sooners (which just feels somehow wrong and icky) to beat Texas Tech. It will be interesting to see how Tech plays in a big road game without their great home crowd. Hopefully Texas doesn't take out all of the drama by choking and losing to Kansas or the Aggies.

We got DirecTV installed Friday. I get my first chance to see how the picture does in rain tonight -- weatherman said we might have hail and even possibly tornadoes. I will be very upset if I lose picture on Monday Night Football during a tornado ... will have to call DirecTV and complain about that one... (e.g. "I never lost picture when a tornado was hitting my house with Time Warner!")

1 comment:

w said...

And the hail and the wind came and beat the hell out of the third little pig's house, but he had a hard line under the yard and just kept right on watching Monday Night Football. :)

Good luck with the dish, man.