Saturday, January 10, 2009

College Football Season final thoughts

I'm a Texas fan, and I'm pretty irritated with the way this season ended. After watching Florida-OU play for a so-called "national championship", I feel pretty sure that Texas, USC, or Utah would have given Florida a better game. Florida is a great team, and I'm really impressed with Tim Tebow (did you see the "John 3:16" on his eye black stickers?).

But if I were a Texas player returning for next season, I'd be itching to start practices right now to open up a total can of whip-ass on everyone in the Big 12 next season. I'd love to see Colt McCoy beat OU next year by about 40-50 points, and stay in the game in the 4th quarter, calling time outs, throwing deep, just to rub it in Stoops face and make sure BCS voters don't forget who won THIS year!

Of course, what I really want in college football is a playoff. So maybe I should be happy that major schools like Texas and USC, and smaller schools like Utah got screwed this year. Probably the only way we get rid of this ludicrous non-playoff system is if the major football factory schools get screwed repeatedly and start passing legislation (a la Joe Barton -- story in Sports Illustrated here).

So at least if Texas is gonna get screwed, at least we beat hated loser rivals Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and Ohio State all in the same year. Seeing Oklahoma lose another BCS game did not suck, either.

Dang it, Blake Gideon, why didn't you catch that ball!?

No comments: