Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thankful in 2008

2008 was generally a pretty tough year overall. Some of the challenges this year I have mentioned previously such as:
  • Kevin Aymat's tragic death (this blog was started partly in homage to him).
  • Trying to sell house in early 2008, no buyers (not even close).
  • Higher than normal number of illnesses in our family.
  • Economy / my 401k tanking / high gas prices / risk of layoffs at my company / mandatory time off unpaid required in 2009.
  • No conservative candidate running for President, slightly more liberal of the two candidates winning election.
  • Oklahoma playing in BCS title game instead of Texas.
  • Tiger Woods out for 2nd half of golf season (poor me, I know...)
  • Rather stressful short notice car search over the Christmas / NY holidays.

However, I think I should take time to call out things that I appreciate and am thankful for in 2008. This helps me feel better and focus on the good things I have and am blessed with. So, I am very thankful for the following in 2008:

  • I have a wonderful family that is healthy and loves me very much. While we did have lots of irritating illnesses in 2008, I am thankful they were all short-term / virus type things and nothing chronic / serious.
  • Gas prices did not stay near $4/gallon.
  • NOT being able to sell the house may have been a financial blessing. Had we sold for our asking price and moved closer in to work / church, we'd likely have a larger mortgage+gas expense than we do at our current house. With the unpaid time I have to take, having this lower budget is good.
  • Lauren turned 4 and finally completed potty training. No More Diapers!
  • I was NOT laid off and still have a great job with good benefits.
  • Our unpaid time required is ONLY two weeks. Many companies have had more severe pay cuts or unpaid time off required.
  • I have a nice gym on site so I can stay healthy and exercise on a tight schedule. I was able to work out 200+ times for my 7th year in a row (we log in at the gym so they track that).
  • Our car search resulted in a very nice, low-mileage car that will reduce our gas expenses and is better for the longer / interstate driving I do in my commute.
  • Natasha is enjoying her doula work (see her web site here), and is getting more clients and able to charge more because of her increasing experience.
  • I was able to play golf with my uncle Barton and cousin Billy at Texas A&M Traditions Club, see photo below.
  • Natasha and I had a great stay-home vacation last summer while the kids went with Winston and Becky to Mesquite for a week. We ate at some great places (Uchi, Eddie Vs, Fogo de Chao).
  • Tiger Woods gave me one of my greatest sports memories ever with his incredible US Open win with a torn ACL (see previous post).
  • Tiger Woods returns for this season with his knee healthy. Can't wait for the Masters!
  • I have great friends in our church / band that I live close to and can visit / have parties with frequently. We had several really fun parties last year.
  • I am enjoying our church band a lot. Things that had stressed me out about it in the past no longer do. I'm having a great time with it.
  • While Texas didn't get to play in the BCS title game, any time we can beat Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and Ohio State in the same year, that does not suck.

I'm looking forward to making this list again in Jan 2010 ...

from left: the author, Billy Day, and Barton Day on first tee at Texas A&M Traditions Club in College Station, TX

No comments: