Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cutback actions at my company

I work at Freescale Semiconductor, and the poor state of the economy has definitely hurt our business. We're not doing as bad as some semiconductor companies, but not good. We've already had quite a few layoffs in 2008, and we have some more cuts just announced today.

The CEO and VPs are taking pay cuts, and all raises / promotions are frozen for 2009. The 401k match has been suspended temporarily. Lastly, we have to take a week off unpaid sometime in Q1 and another unpaid week off in Q2. I think my friends that work at Dell have had similar actions they had to take.

While this stinks and definitely hurts my one-income family budget, it could be worse. Our babysitter's husband works at another semiconductor company, Spansion, where they have been forced to take 5 weeks unpaid. I would be really screwed if I had to do something like that.

So for the forseeable future, look for drink reviews limited to things like Shiner Bock and Dos Equis. Perhaps food pairings of which of these beers goes well with frozen pizza and mac and cheese. 100% agave tequila and Cointreau seem to be luxuries I'll have to eliminate. Unless maybe I stop eating solid food and JUST drink margaritas...

3 comments:

corey said...

If ya did that, you might lose your job and NOT to cutbacks! :) Hang in there, buddy, it can only get better!

goooooood girl said...

your blog is very fine......

Eric said...

Hey gooooood girl, it's not necessary to tell me things I already know. 8^)