Wednesday, September 10, 2008

No substitute for Cointreau

OK, in an effort to try and keep my budget for excellent drinks somewhat under control, I have often attempted to try other orange-flavored liqueurs to substitute for Cointreau, which is pretty much the most-expensive one. I think I have given up.

When I first started making margaritas, I tried Grand Marnier, but I think it's too heavy / sweet / syrupy for margaritas. GM is good straight, but seems to overpower the tequila in a rita or other mixed drink. I have since tried Bouchant, Gran Gala, Patron orange liqueur, and Paula's Texas Orange.

Of the substitutes, I think the locally-made Paula's is probably the best. In fact, it's been a long time since I have had that and may try it again. But every time I make it with Cointreau, it's just perfect and I remember why I always go back to it.

No comments: