Wednesday, October 1, 2008

2000 workouts in 10 years

That's kind of a rough long-term goal I have for fitness / working out. Because we have this nice little gym on site at my job, it makes it much easier to fit in a workout than if I had to go to a 24-hr Fitness or some other commercial gym before or after work. We do a little log in each time we go in, so I'm able to keep track of how many times a year I go in. I've been able to go 200 times or more every year since 2002 (I re-started regular exercising in summer of 2001), and have about 33 more workouts to reach that for 2008 (7 years running). I think it sounds really cool to be able to do that for 10 straight years -- a nice, round number.

I cycle between 3 standard workouts that I just cycle through (1-2-3-1-2-3, etc.). I probably should add more variety in to this, but this is working for now and seems to provide a good balance between weights/strength and cardio. I don't feel like I have time to do cardio and weights on the same day.

  • Workout 1: 4-5 mile run with hills (my standard run right now is 4.8-4.9 miles outdoors with vertical uphill gain of about 200 ft).
  • Workout 2: Weights / strength: chest / back / shoulders
  • Workout 3: Weights / strength: stomach / core, legs, arms

No comments: