Monday, October 6, 2008

Dinner with good friends, Hendrick's gin, plugging their blogs

As kind of a bright spot in a rather rough last few weeks, Natasha and I had good friends Wes and Corey over for dinner / drinks Saturday night. Because of economic issues, I didn't make a bunch of 100% agave margaritas and steaks, but kept it to gin-and-tonics (my recipe here), Izze-politans (see here), and pizza, and we also had the wine they brought.

We had a really nice visit, especially after our kids went to bed (our kids were kind of loud and hyper having company over and made it tough to relax and visit earlier). We'd all been so busy lately that we had not visited much the last 4-5 weeks, and we'd missed it. I also used the occasion to get rid of the last of my Hendrick's gin -- it's good quality stuff, it just has some unusual flavors that I don't quite like in my gin taste. In fact, the label on the back of the bottle even says that it has some unusual flavors compared to more traditional gin and that "IT IS NOT FOR EVERYONE" (it's in all-caps on the bottle). I find this statement to be true. Link here for more info. So I made gin-and-tonics for Wes (who'd recommended the Hendrick's) and Corey, and all were happy.

Wes said they had tried making a tequila-and-tonic on a lark and really liked it -- I'm not sure that I'm willing to try that yet with my good tequila ... maybe I'll try it with some Hornitos someday.

See here for Wes' blog, and here for Corey's.

No comments: