Tuesday, August 19, 2008

iPhone 3G

I bought my 4-wheel-drive pickup truck in 2000, when gas cost about $1.25 a gallon. My wife and I bought our first house out in Kyle (a suburb south of Austin) when gas was still cheap. But now with gas being much higher (about $3.60 in Austin today), the choices of where we live and having larger vehicles really eat into the monthly budget.

Given this, I was recently wondering if there would be a cool way for me to pay about $80 MORE per month on my wireless phone bill. Heck why pay $100 for a family plan when I could pay $180 instead? My wife had the solution to this dilemna ... we should get iPhones!

To be fair to her, she had been using a phone for the last 6 months held together with a rubber band (which she did not feel was very hip), so perhaps I see her point about wanting a new phone.

We got our new phones a couple of weeks ago, and love them. The touchscreen interface is very cool, and web browsing is beautiful. I was able to sync up at get my work email on my phone, and even a 1Mb pdf file downloaded easily and was viewable pretty clearly on the small screen. Since we have no landline at home, we were fortunate that the phone and 3G reception is fine at home.

Our pastor was talking at a recent service about God being a refiner's fire, one who applies heat to us to get the gold / purity to emerge. He said, "I don't know how hot it has to get to melt gold, but it's pretty hot". I was able to pull up my phone, do a quick Google search, and figure out it was about 1950 deg F (1947.52F to be exact).

One word of caution, though. If you use your iPhone in church to pull up Olympic results, your wife may elbow you pretty hard!

No comments: