Monday, August 25, 2008

What Would Jesus Drink? (Patron and Chimay, I think...)

OK, so I want to address the Christian / drinking thing, just in case anyone from my church that isn't one of my inner circle of friends is reading this. For the folks that are already my closer friends, well, they've already been to my house and had several good cocktails I've made for them, so I'm not so worried about them!

The church where I attend and play keyboards in the worship band is a non-denominational church, where people sing, clap, raise, their hands, etc. However, our Pastor has a Baptist background (he was originally ordained Baptist), and they're not really supportive of drinking. Also, before he got saved, he used to be a pretty hard partier / drinker in his younger days. So for him, eliminating drinking (along, presumably, with the other rabble-rousing / pillaging) was kind of a big part of his conversion experience.

As for me, I grew up as a Christian from age 5, and never really had any kind of "wild" past. Probably the worst thing I ever did in high school was drink a few Budweisers at our Pastor's house at a party thrown by the Pastor's kids while the parents were out of town. And I was the one that ended up getting punished the most when all was said and done. (Hello? How about the folks that THREW the party??)

I probably should have gotten in more trouble for drinking an inferior beer like Bud instead of something like Shiner Bock ...

So I don't have any kind of sordid past with alchoholic drinks. I didn't really sit down and have a decent beer until my good friend Steve ordered me a cold pitcher of Shiner Bock at the Crown and Anchor on my 21st birthday. (Oh, so THAT'S what beer is supposed to taste like!...)

Anyway, the Bible talks about "not being drunk with wine (emphasis mine), but being filled with the Spirit". I don't think it's an unreasonable interpretation to conclude that the Bible here is not saying that total abstinance is required, just not getting tanked.

Then, of course, there's Jesus' first miracle at the wedding in Cana, where Jesus made wine from water for the wedding guests after they had run out. I should point out that Jesus did not make junk, either. He made Chateau Mouton-Rothschild (or Harlan Estates Cab if you prefer a California wine to a French one). I should also point out that Jesus knew that they had already consumed the first / existing batch of wine, so he knew that he was providing wine for people to have additional servings! In other words, he knew it was a party.

So, I think if Jesus came over to my house, he'd enjoy one of my margaritas with Patron and Cointreau (after probably first pointing out several things He'd like me to change about my character). Maybe he could even do that thing like when he fed the 5000 with a few loaves and fishes, and keep multiplying the Patron until all had drunk and were satisfied ... and there were 12 bottles of Patron remaining!

No comments: