Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Margarita recipe I am enjoying lately

I used to make more of a diluted margarita with several ounces of a limeade-type mixture, but the stronger / straighter version seems to be truer to the taste of the tequila, and tastes more like the margaritas I really like at Guero's Taco Bar on South Congress. I also really like the margaritas at Z-Tejas but I have not figured out how to get that exact flavor yet.

2 oz 100% agave tequila
1 oz Cointreau
Juice of 1/2 to 1 lime freshly sqeezed (depending on how big and juicy the lime is)
Approx 1 Tbs simple syrup to taste

Put martini / margarita glass in freezer for a few minutes. Combine ingredients in shaker with lots of ice. Shake, strain into cold glass. You could also strain it into a more traditional highball / margarita glass with ice (use fresh ice, not the ice from the shaker).

Simple syrup is made by bringing to a boil in a saucepan 1 part water and 1 part sugar until sugar dissolves. Cool and save in the fridge. (I like to infuse simple syrup with fresh mint for making mint juleps or mojitos).

Tequilas I really like to use:
Sauza Hornitos, Tezon silver, Patron silver, or Gran Centenario plata (or try an anejo tequila like Sauza Commemoritivo or Don Julio anejo for a darker / oakier flavor)

No comments: