Saturday, August 30, 2008

On years of "experience" for public office

There's this line of political stories going on about whether Obama or Palin is "experienced" enough to be President or VP. I don't really buy into that whole theory that much.

While I don't think someone should be President who's never really held any kind of public office (there's kind of a minimum needed), both Obama and Palin have pretty high level office experience.

No, to me, the issue is, "where does the candidate stand on the issues I care about?" If they support the issues I care about and support my views, to me that significantly trumps number of years of experience being WRONG (in my opinion) on an issue. Biden has many years of being in the Senate / foreign relations committee / etc. But I don't support his positions on issues, so why would the experience of many years of being WRONG on an issue be a positive?

I'm sure many of my friends (and extended family) who are more liberal don't feel that McCain's years of experience matter -- they care about that McCain doesn't support the issues in the way that they think Obama does.

No comments: